Company founder Frantisek Janecek Jawa was born in 1878. In the early 20-ies of the last century, he was engaged in the manufacture of weapons, he owned arms factory. While in the Czech Republic has been very well developed industry and motorcycles in small batches to produce many small firms. In 1928, due to the reduction of military orders Frantisek Janecek decides to try and master the production of motorcycles. In 1929, he bought a license to manufacture heavy motorcycle from Wanderer (which was just about to give up the production of motorcycles) and registers the trademark Jawa (JaWa = Janechek + Wanderer, ie the name comes from the first 2 letters of the founders).
But the demand for heavy road bike was small and for the development of a new model was invited English designer George William Patchett. Patchett has developed a simple lightweight motorcycle with a 175 cc two-stroke engine Viliers. Motorcycle debuted in 1932 and immediately became very popular in the Czech Republic. In 1935 was released a more powerful motorcycle with an engine of 250 cm3. Just produced a 350-cc model with four-stroke engines.
In 1941, the founder of the company Frantisek Janecek Jawa died, and in 1945, after the war, his factory and production of motorcycles were nationalized. Due to the fact that the factory workers during the war, secretly continued to develop a new model motorcycle (officially engaged in repair works of the German military equipment) in 1946 Jawa was able to provide a completely new bike at the Paris Motor Show. Soon Jawa won the tender for the supply of motor vehicles in the USSR and in 60 years, annually supplies to the Soviet Union 100 thousand motorcycles. In 1964 was one-millionth motorcycle brand Java, and even after 12 years, the number of issued motorcycles Java has reached 2 million.
After the collapse of the USSR and the socialist camp in the early '90s Java was on the verge of bankruptcy, sell motorcycles there was no one. But the factory was privatized and it was saved, the production is gradually recovering, though not yet in those volumes that were in the Soviet era.
Company History JAWA started in 1922 when Engineer - Frantisek Janecek gunsmith bought the bankrupt factory on the outskirts of Prague. Initially, the factory was purchased to accommodate them received the order to rework captured guns.
By 1928, the number of orders from the military declined. Janecek then decided to go into production of motorcycles. In 1929, acquired a license for the production of 500-cc OHV motorcycles Wanderer. The brand name was formed by combining the first letters of Janecek and Wanderer.
Selected 500 cubes engine model had a complex structure that is bad for the price. Sales were poor and had to stop production of Janecek this bike.
In 1931 the company came Jawa motorcycle racer and engineer George William Patchett, who offered Janecek to start producing light motorcycles with two-stroke engines, built on the model of motor Villiers. New motorcycle Jawa 175 chassis of stamped parts proved to be more successful.
In 1934, were put into production nizhneklapannym 12 strong "Jawa 350", and then later push-pull Jawa 250. All manufactured motorcycles were constantly subjected to modernization.
In 1935 there was a strong Jawa OHV 15 350, and in 1936 there was an easy 100-cc motorbike Java robot, which had an auxiliary pedal power. This motorbike was very popular, thanks to this was released about 15 thousand copies. Since 1946, they also began to establish Kick.
After the occupation of Czechoslovakia in March 1939 motokompaniya came under the control of the German authorities. Despite this, the company Jawa continued development of new models, thus strongly influenced by the engineers of the German company DKV. In the second half of 1944 was fully prepared documentation for a new model with a candle rear suspension, and a new two-stroke engine cylinder capacity of 250 and 350 cm3. Motorcycles factory tested and prepared for mass production in 1945.
After the liberation of Czechoslovakia Jawa motorcycle factory was nationalized. In May 1945, was resumed production of the pre-war models of motorcycles. When this work was completed in preparation for the production of experimental models created during the war.
In early 1946, a new model of the company, motorcycle Jawa 250 made a splash at the International Exhibition in Paris, where he won the gold medal. Motorcycle-cylinder two-stroke had a 250 cc engine block with four-speed transmission and foot gear selection. The engine was mounted in a frame of rectangular pipes, the rear suspension was a candle-type telescopic front fork.
Since 1948, the parallel was launched in a series of two-cylinder two-stroke Jawa 350. Chassis both models was identical, but the latter was produced at a former factory Autfit, which before the war was building bikes Ogar, and in 1948 became part of Jawa. Motorcycle first sold under the name Hogar-350, and then received the designation Jawa Perak 12.
Mindful of the pre-war tradition, the company started building a four motorcycle class 500 cm3. Chassis of the machine based on the nodes already mastered family Perak, and the engine was a two-cylinder 500 cc, 26 hp engine with a camshaft in the cylinder head. In 1952, this bike was put into production and sometimes getting updates that are released until 1958.
In the autumn of 1953 were released new motorcycles with a pendulum rear suspension, 250 cc model 353 and model 350 cubes 354. Chassis these bikes has become common for a family of models that are produced in conjunction with the plant ChZet. The main innovation was the combined Kick pedal and gear change.
In 1962 motorcycles were modernized classes of classes 250 and 350 cm3. The main external difference is the new shape of the upper housing headlights, which now cover the entire wheel entirely. Engine power was now 14 and 18 hp Updated motorcycles got the name "250-559" and "350-354 / 06". Model 350-354 / 06 after some improvements in 1965, received an index of 360.
In addition to the release medium motorcycles, motorcycle factory Jawa paid much attention malokubaturnomu transport with 50 cc engines. Among the machines of this class can be noted motorcycle Java Pioneer with a three-stage gearbox and motorollernym opening between the seat and the steering column, as well as numerous mopeds with a characteristic horizontal cylinder.
.One and two-cylinder motorcycles were good in the Cup of the socialist countries in road-racing, but this world triumph Jawa company has made in the ice and cinder speedway . Motorcycles of this brand were the most famous athletes. Several decades of Jawa motorcycles was not equal to the speedway.
In 1970, Jawa motorcycle manufacturers have attempted to radically change the look of their bikes by launching two brand new models: "250-623" and "350-633". These motorcycles have a backbone frame, 18 inch wheels, and the design was so unusual that motorcycles were nicknamed Buffalo. Engines have separate lubrication system and is essentially a transitional design to more advanced powertrains next series of 634.
By 1973, the new model has been prepared with the model 634 duplex closed frame and completely overhauled 344 cubes engine capacity 19 hp It was the last bike, painted in signature cherry color. 250 cc single cylinder model by this time disappeared from the program of the enterprise.
Motorcycle Jawa 350-638 was established in 1984 and produced until today. This bike is the first time among Jawa, received a 12-volt electrical and aluminum cylinders with pressed cast iron liners. Motor power was 23 hp
In 1987 he got the bike changes in design, and in 1991 received the motorcycle front brake disc. This bike model 350-640 Java is today the basis of the factory programs.
In 1994 there was a 50 cubes model Jawa Robby. Two-stroke engine supplied by Tomos. In 2000 there was a 100-bottoms version with an engine Suzuki.